Study Abroad With a Real Classroom Experience
Italy, May 5 – 26, 2018 / May 4th – 25th, 2019
The program gives the opportunity to several participants to work with pre-school, elementary and middle school students and teachers for 3 weeks in beautiful towns of Marche region, Italy.
Students will work 5 mornings a week in an Italian school, learn about the teaching profession in Italy, and experience the Italian lifestyle while living with a local host family.
Every classroom taking part in the program will host one or more American students, who will take an active role in the classroom. Their activities will vary from teaching conversational English, songs and games to assisting Italian teachers. Students will be invited to help manage the classrooms and develop topics and school projects. Their presence in the classrooms will be particularly important for studying and observing Italian methodology and didactics, classroom life, evaluation system, teacher-pupil interaction, assistance to special needs children, parent involvement, multiethnic classrooms and working with very limited teaching supplies.
In the afternoon, students will be free to explore the surroundings areas. Self-selected travel opportunities or traveling before/after the program are encouraged.
|Duration and Dates
- Duration: 3 weeks
- Dates: May 5th – 26th, 2018 / May 4th – 25th, 2019
- Application process: from October 1st to January 1st
||International Experience works with pre-school to middle schools located in the following towns and provinces of the Adriatic Coast :
- Civitanova Marche, Porto Sant’Elpidio, Porto San Giorgio, Montecosaro, Porto Potenza Picena, Fermo, Ancona, Macerata.
Other towns may be added to the list during the school year
- With a carefully selected host family screened both from the school and the International Experience Staff. Single bedroom or shared with another American student
- Hotels/apartment type accommodations will be provided only when host families are not
- Teach in Italian schools for up to 15 hours per week, Monday to Friday.
- Tutor the host family in conversational English for 5 hours week, Monday to Friday.
- Respect host family’s rules and habits.
|Activities in school
- Prepare topics and activities before departure, in order to have the Italian students practice their conversational abilities in English
- Teach conversational English to a group of students during the hours specifically dedicated to the English language and Assist Italian teachers during other subjects
- Help students with their English homework
- Observe and study the different aspects of the Italian school system for a productive comparison with the American system
|Who can participate
- Graduate and Undergraduate students
- We are looking for candidates with an outgoing personality, interested in the Education or Language sector and willing to face the challenge of studying and teaching in a different school system
- Requirements are:
- valid passport: must be valid for at least 6 months beyond your planned date of departure from the Shengen area
- clear police background check
- application form filled in
- personal references checked
- Private International Health Insurance
- Teaching/ Studying position prior to departure.
- Private pick up at Rome International Airport.
- Accommodation with a carefully selected Italian Host Family or in hostels/shared apartments when host families are not available.
- At least 2 meals a day (usually breakfast and dinner) with the host family or in school.
- Welcome group lunch.
- Transportation from and to school (when needed).
- Professional Italian staff to provide supervision and guidance throughout the entire stay.
- Orientation Course.
- Assistance for the “Declaration of presence” and “Declaration of hospitality” at the local police office, including transportation if needed.
- Transportation and entrance to the Frasassi Caves, with final winery tour.
- Weekend trip to Florence including: train/bus transportation and ruturn, one night at a local hostel/hotel in multiple rooms, entrance to the Galleria degli Uffizi in Florence and the Galleria dell’Accademia.
- Weekend trip to Rome including: train/bus transportation and ruturn, two nights at a local hostel/hotel in multiple rooms, entrance to the Vatican Museums, Colosseum.
- Farewell party for all program participants.